Construction began on the Industrial Arts Building in 1961 and instructors conducted the first classes in the Fall of 1962. On December 18, 1967 the State College Board voted to name the building after Maurice J. Nelson. Nelson was a long time professor in Industrial Arts and later became Dean of Men. He served the campus community from 1918 until 1959. In 1979 the connection between Armstrong Hall and Nelson was completed and contains the Effie Conkling Art Gallery.