Original material located at Minnesota State University, Mankato University ArchivesCreative Commons-BY-NC. This material is usable under a Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0 Visit our website for additional details and suggested citations. https://library.mnsu.edu/archives/research-services/copyright-and-fair-use/
Mankato State University, the MSU football players and various students gather around the podium on the Campus mall during Homecoming, 1988
Mankato State University
University Archives and Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Memorial Library, Minnesota State University, Mankato, P.O. Box 8419, Mankato, MN 56002-8419 (contributing organization)
Mankato State University, the MSU football players and various students gather around the podium on the Campus mall during Homecoming, 1988. The Memorial Library, Maverick mascot, Homecoming King, and The Fountain can be seen in the picture. The Memorial Library was named for those students who gave their lives for their country, and was opened in 1967. The Campus Mall is a student gathering area, and is located between Armstrong Hall and The Fountain. The school mascot has been the Maverick since 1977. The name "Maverick" was submitted by Sociology Professor Roy Cook. The fountain design came from part of the New York City World Fair (1965), and was installed in 1969. The sculpture in the fountain was done by, Roger Johnson, a former faculty member in the Art Department, it was added in 1975.
8 x 13
University Photograph Collection, 1868-ongoing. MSU Archives 309.