Original material located at Minnesota State University, Mankato University Archives
Creative Commons-BY-NC. This material is usable under a Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0 Visit our website for additional details and suggested citations. https://library.mnsu.edu/archives/research-services/copyright-and-fair-use/
Mankato State University, the Homecoming King and Maverick mascot dance on the Campus Mall during Homecoming, 1988
BandsCampus MallEducationHomecomingMankato State UniversityMascotsNelson Hall
University Archives and Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Memorial Library, Minnesota State University, Mankato, P.O. Box 8419, Mankato, MN 56002-8419 (contributing organization)
Mankato State University, the Homecoming King and Maverick mascot dance on the Campus Mall during Homecoming, 1988. The MSU band and Nelson are in the background. The school mascot has been the Maverick since 1977. The name "Maverick" was submitted by Sociology Professor Roy Cook. The Campus Mall is a student gathering area, and is located between Armstrong Hall and The Fountain. Nelson Hall was opened in 1962. The building had modern shop facilities and classrooms and offices to accommodate the Industrial Arts and Mathematics departments. It was named in honor of Maurice J. Nelson who served Mankato State for forty-one years as a professor of industrial arts and dean of men.
8 x 13
University Photograph Collection, 1868-ongoing. MSU Archives 309.